Kohteesta ExcaliburWikiSiirry navigaatioonSiirry hakuun
A character belonging to Veini Lehkonen.
Street name: Ether
- Real SIN and name: Ethar "Eth" Scriede Terada. Works as a personal mechanic/programmer and does all the daily stuff like going to the store. In no case will Ether use this SIN on a run, since it has a criminal record and all.
- Fake SIN: Galen Nodach (has all the licenses). Has a doctor's degree (or equivalent) in computer science.
- Fake SIN: Ash Dai Chaci. Is a mechanic.
- Fake SIN: Kimball English. Is a university student.
- Ether is a fairly dark-skinned, somewhat Japanese-looking 26-year-old human. Ether has long and straight black hair that is usually dyed white, black eyes, facial features generally considered to be Japanese, and a thin runner's body 162 cm tall and weighing 50 kg. In terms of clothing, Ether usually wears a violet scarf on the head, stylish (or styleless, depending on point of view) glasses, black leather jacket, generic tracksuit and running shoes. While performing parkour, Ether wears a regular urban jumpsuit (with elbow and knee guards and such, but no armor per se) and a helmet. If the situation calls for it, Ether can be stuffed in an official business suit, but the hacker would rather wear something especially comfortable.
- Due to things that have happened in the past, Ether is fairly bitter, but doesn't want to angst about it to other people – who knows, they could consider Ether an emotional wreck or something, and that doesn't really fit Ether's imago. Besides, since when is showing weakness a good thing? Other than that, Ether was and for the most part still is somewhat of a snob and a so-called teacher's pet who usually excelled at school and got good grades. However, the time spent in prison and on the streets did a good job of making Ether somewhat humble and sympathetic toward the less educated people. Like an epitome of a technology professional, Ether doesn't outwardly look like much of a professional, but sounds like one that much more. That quality got toned down slightly in prison, however, and Ether can put up an almost convincing facade of being a thug, albeit a slightly short and wimpy one. Ether has a long memory and holds grudges, but also remembers friendships.
- Ether was born the youngest child in the Terada family. The family was well off, with both the parents being highly educated and having top positions in the NeoNET megacorp. Ether's intersex condition was of no issue to the parents, Lizze and Norio, since they were of the opinion that people should be able to be themselves and decide about their own body. Fortunately the condition imposed no obstacle to development or other impairment.
- Lizze and Norio paid dearly to have their children highly educated as well, and all of them came out to at least match their parents. From the age of five, Ether spent 16 years studying in prestigious schools to eventually become a programmer and an expert in the field of security. However, while Ether's two older siblings got quite prestigious jobs in NeoNET fresh out of university, Ether went to work at Brackhaven Investments.
- A year before graduating and just after the Second Crash, Ether met a technomancer called Tang Chain, and the two took to liking each other very much. Therefore, they eventually moved together.
- Ether became a rather successful wageslave after all the careless student years spent in the university to become an IT professional, and came out with a quite nice career, ending up being one of the highest position security hackers at a local Brackhaven Investments office. Ether received most of the cyberware and bioware implants from the corp at a reduced price.
- One night Tang was caught by a shadowrunner team and a message was sent to Ether with instructions to come to a certain place, and if Ether told anyone or tried to do something stupid, Tang would be killed. Ether was too scared to try anything, but did, however, send a delayed message to Lone Star police – it would be delivered after 12 hours if Ether wouldn't cancel it. Ether then drove to the spot, and from there was taken still elsewhere. After seeing that Tang was alive and well, the shadowrunners tried to bribe Ether into performing a data steal of sorts, but Ether wouldn't hear of it and didn't buy their threats. That resulted in Tang getting heavily roughened up, and eventually Ether was submissive enough for the group's mage to cast some mind-probing and thought-controlling spells in order to find about what could be achieved and puppeteer Ether around. Having done that, the shadowrunners sent Ether off to work since it was morning already. They performed the data steal and sabotaged bits of records through Ether's body, and Ether could only watch and weep subconsciously.
- When Ether's working day was over and the shadowrunners had gotten what they were after, they had Ether drive to yet another place. There, Ether gave the data to the shadowrunners on hardcopy and the mage proceeded to clean up Ether's memory in order erase some key bits of information. However, the mage wasn't exactly very good at that, and ended up messing around Ether's mind more than had been intended – but who cares, it worked as far as they cared. Having done that, the mage also tried to erase the magical signature. Ether was then taken to the spot where Tang had been beaten up. Tang was still there, lying unconscious and bleeding. Very confused, mind-modified and mentally broken, Ether could do nothing more than hold dear Tang until the technomancer died.
- At some point, the delayed message to the police was delivered, and some Lone Star goons were sent to check the situation. Of course they found nothing at the exact spot, but after locating Tang's commlink (Ether's was closed at the moment), they found the sad scene. The data steal had become apparent while Ether had been engaged with crying and Ether was now wanted, so an arrestment followed.
- Ether was still very confused for the rest of the day and all the interrogation and examination did not help things. However, after a few nights' rest, Ether was relatively healthy again, but could not recall much of what had happened. Ether insisted that someone else was responsible for all the crimes, but since no evidence remained, there wasn't much a judge could do except punish the tool of the crime. Ether was outraged, but got no efficient help, and was sent to prison. At least there were mitigating circumstances – Ether really had no recollection or comprehension about what had happened, seemed truly shaken, confounded and disturbed by the events and Brackhaven Industries (had) considered Ether an exemplary employee – so Ether was given a relatively short sentence: only two years, with a possibility of parole in one and a half years.
- Ether's family was also thoroughly shocked by the turn of events. Being the good and loyal parents they are, Lizze and Norio defended their child to the end and didn't abandon Ether even when in prison. Ether's siblings, however, were a bit more suspicious about it and estranged.
- Ether sat the indicated time in prison and was even paroled three months earlier due to excellent behavior, and the sentence was consecutively shortened by two months. During that time, Ether's memory healed and the hacker gradually recalled few things the mage had tried to hide. However, the information was late and the mage obviously nowhere to be found. At least Ether could remember something.
- Picking up the pieces of life wasn't easy, and it was mostly thanks to Ether's parents and Ether's best friend (after the late Tang) Taylor Speaker that it was somewhat successful. Ether had of course been fired from the position in Brackhaven Investments and was now pretty much forbidden to work for the corporation. Taylor Speaker had been Ether's underling at the corp and had then been promoted – though Taylor had considered quitting due to disagreeing with them about Ether's culpability. Ether wasn't exactly popular in the recruitment lists of any other corporations either for the moment, so the hacker ended up being a personal entrepreneur, but not a very well paid one.
- While Ether had never really trusted mages much, it took a whole new turn after Ether had recalled enough of the happenings to realize that the violator had to have been a mage. While in prison, Ether swore to find the mage and do some unpleasant things to the mage in question. Ether doesn't really think that it's too likely to meet the mage ever again, but one can hope and make sure it won't happen again. Ether's craving for magical privacy went as far as to consider mages in general pretty much an abomination that had to be controlled, no matter what. Therefore, Ether sought out Sons of Apollo.
- Ether's favorite hobby is parkour – getting from point A to point B, no matter what's in between. Of course, Ether tries to avoid trespassing, especially when in an area of big corporations. Ether has mostly used the Lockheed optic-X drone to record parkour trips.
- Day job Ether works as a personal mechanic/programmer and takes calls and jobs on weekdays at 11–14. Ether gets also more extensive programming jobs on Fridays, and they need to be completed before Saturday noon.
- Lizze and Norio Terada (Ether's parents) (scientists at NeoNET): Despite them being more than shocked about the accusations and punishment toward their child, Lizze and Norio continue to support Ether in any way they can. Of course Ether doesn't exactly want to be dependent of parents at this age anymore, no matter the circumstances.
- Taylor Speaker (Brackhaven Investments security chief): One of Ether's best friends and very aggravated at how easily the corp accepted the prison sentence, Taylor has experienced some drop in the level of loyalty toward the corp and rather wants to help Ether out. Taylor also shares Ether's rather negative view of mages.
BP used: 400 Metatype: Human Essence: 3,475
BP used: 190 Statistics Rating BODY 2 AGILITY 3 REACTION 5 STRENGTH 2 CHARISMA 2 INTUITION 5 LOGIC 5 WILLPOWER 3 Edge 2 Initiative 10
- Positive qualities
Photographic memory 10
- Negative qualities
Sensitive system 15 Day job 10 SINner (criminal) 10
BP used: 166 Active skills Specialization Rating Group: Cracking 4 Cybercombat Electronic warfare Hacking Group: Electronics 4 Computer Data search Hardware Software Running Urban 4 (6) Gymnastics Jumping 2 (4) Perception 3 First aid 1 Automotive mechanic 2 Pistols Tasers 2 (4) Automatics Submachine guns 1 (3) Pilot ground craft Wheeled 2 (4) Con 2 Etiquette Matrix 2 (4) BP used: 30 (free points) Knowledge skills Specialization Rating English N Japanese 3 Security systems Matrix 4 (5) Brackhaven Investments Security 4 (5) Corporate law Brackhaven Investments 2 (3) Software engineering 5 Electrical engineering 5 Prison gangs 1 Parkour / free running 3
Loyalty Connection Corporate scientists (parents) Lizze and Norio Terada 5 1 Spider (Brackhaven Investments security chief) Taylor Speaker 4 3 Johnson/Fixer Alfred Ancient 2 4
BP used: 50 -> Nuyen: 250000, 100 left Weapons number Cost Survival knife 1 50 Yamaha pulsar 1 150 Taser dart (10) 10 500 Hammerli 620S 1 150 Concealable holster 1 75 Silencer 1 200 Internal Smartgun 0 0 Spare clip 3 15 Regular ammo (10) 10 200 Gel ammo (10) 5 150 HK 227X 1 800 Concealable holster 1 75 Silencer 0 0 Spare clip 5 25 Stick-n-Shock (10) 5 400 Regular ammo (10) 5 100 Clothing Rating Cost Leather jacket 200 Fire resistance 4 400 Insulation 4 600 Nonconductivity 4 800 Helmet 100 General clothing 400 Commlink (implant) Cost Essence cost (unmodified) Hermes Ikon (5/5) 9500 -0,2 Vector xim (6/6) 6200 Sim module (hot) 250 Another commlink Novatech Airwave 1250 Mangadyne Deva (3/6) 3800 Cyberware Cost Essence cost (unmodified) Control rig 10000 -0,5 Datajack 500 -0,1 Cybereyes Capacity 8 Capacity 750 -0,3 Flare compensation 1 750 Low light vision 2 1000 Smartlink 3 1000 Thermographic 2 1000 Protective covers 100 Cultured bioware Rating Cost Essence cost (unmodified) Cerebral booster 2 20000 -0,4 Mnemonic enhancer 1 7500 -0,1 Sleep regulator 1 10000 -0,15 Vehicle Cost GMC Bulldog step-van 37500 (rigged) GM-Nissan Doberman 3000 Image link 25 Lockheed optic-X 1700
Programs Rating Cost Common use Analyze 6 600 Browse 6 600 Command 6 600 Edit 6 600 Encrypt 6 600 Reality filter 6 600 Scan 6 600 Hacking Armor 5 5000 Attack 5 5000 Biofeedback filter 5 5000 Black hammer 5 5000 Blackout 3 1500 Decrypt 5 5000 Defuse 3 1500 EECM 5 5000 Exploit 6 6000 Medic 4 4000 Sniffer 4 4000 Spoof 4 4000 Stealth 6 6000 Track 4 4000 Autosofts Defense (doberman) 6 3000 Clearsight (doberman) 5 2500 IC 4 10000 Agent 4 10000 Pilot (doberman) 4 10000
Miscellaneous Rating Cost fake SIN 4 4000 fake SIN 4 4000 fake SIN 4 4000 fake license Hacking programs 4 400 fake license Smartlink 4 400 fake license HK 227X 4 400 fake license Hammerli 4 400 Glasses 25 Ultrasound 1000 Vision magnification 100 Vision enhancement 3 300 Mapsoft, Seattle 6 30 Jammer, area 4 2000 Jammer, directional 6 3000 White noise generator 6 300 Antidote patch (2) 4 400 Stimulant patch (3) 4 300 Tranq patch (6) 4 480 Medkit 6 600 Medkit supplies (5) 250 Handheld sensor package Camera 100 Directional microphone 50 Motion sensor 50 Survival kit 100 Biomonitor 300 Satellite link 500 Tools: kit 500 Lifestyle: low (2 months) 4000